An NYSE Scalper's Tale - A Trader's Diary

Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Purpose

The purpose of this blog is for me to review my trading day. I will be posting my stats on a daily basis including my gross and net profit/loss, number of trades and number of shares traded. I will highlight the biggest winning trades and biggest losing trades of the day along with any stocks of interest I saw during the trading day.

I will also post some lessons I've learned that have helped improve me as a trader. By no means am I a great trader (yet), but hopefully this exercise will force me to look deeper to identify things I may be doing wrong (or right).

Right now I scalp NYSE stocks at the firm I work at. This means I hold positions from anywhere between a few seconds to a few minutes. I am continually modifying my trading strategy and eventually I would like to actually "trade" stocks (hold them for longer periods of time). Note that I do not hold positions overnight.

I am hoping to post at the end of every trading day (except maybe Friday nights...I will probably post Friday's results on Sunday evenings). As mentioned in the "About" section - I am mainly doing this to better myself as a trader.

Now for those that are not familiar with some of the terms I will be using throughout this blog:

Proprietary Trader (or Prop Trader) - a trader that does not trade his/her own money, but instead trades capital provided by a company.

Loss from Top (LFT) - is the amount you have lost from your peak net profit. An example: let's say your very first trade you make a profit of $100. But then on the very next trade you lose $20. Then your LFT would be $20. Let's say the next trade after that you lose another $50. Now your LFT is $70.

LET THE JOURNEY BEGIN!