An NYSE Scalper's Tale - A Trader's Diary

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Slow And Steady Deflation (Fri Jul 28 Results)

Gross: +$665.94
Net: +$488.69
Loss From Top: $150.62
Trades: 106
Shares Traded: 159730

Stocks Traded Today (net profit/loss):
AT&T (T): +$200.51
Bank of America (BAC): +$172.09
Motorola (MOT): +$106.40
Exxon Mobile (XOM): +$104.38
Chesapeake Energy (CHK): -$2.37
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD): -$14.58
Walmart (WMT): -$26.38
Hewlett Packard (HPQ): -$51.36

On Friday the markets staged another big day gaining more than 100 points on the Dow and up 1.2% on the S&P 500.

The morning action on Friday was great - big strong moves to the upside, but the afternoon action was something I cared little for.

I really hate days in which the bulk of the moves occur in the morning, and when the afternoon hang on to those gains (or losses) on the day, but moves little in either direction.

On Friday, we were basically flatlining starting from 11AM till close. I was very conscious of this fact, so I spent the entire afternoon putting on small positions and trying to scalp for a penny or two here and there.

However, since the markets were acting like they were, I was up a bit over $600 by 11AM, but I slowly lost my profits and ended up losing about $150 during the course of the afternoon (my loss from top).

I was very glad I held back and didn't put on any really big positions in the afternoon (otherwise I would have lost a lot more).

No good trades and no bad trades on Friday. This was definitely not the result I'm looking for and I didn't get much cooperation from the markets.

It's pretty clear that I will not be able to reach any of my goals this month (break $10,000 on the month, have 10 $1000+ days). We've only got one more day in the month of July (Monday).

Next month, I start aggressive and we'll go from there to see if I can maintain it. Like I've said before, I love the beginning of the month because I can be aggressive and not worry too much if I happen to lose money (because I know I have the rest of the month to try to make it back).

Good Trades
None.

Bad Trades
None.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home