An NYSE Scalper's Tale - A Trader's Diary

Thursday, March 09, 2006

I Woke Up This Morning For This?

Gross: -$88.92
Net: -$177.97
Loss From Top: 183.11
Trades: 53
Shares Traded: 101308

Stocks Traded Today (net profit/loss):
Corning (GLW): +$56.68
Pepsi (PEP): +$49.64
Pfizer (PFE): +$43.80
Bell South (BLS): +$25.75
Micron Tech (MU): +$14.81
Sprint-Nextell (S): -$17.61
Boston Scientific (BSX): -$23.81
Walmart (WMT): -$52.61
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ): -$4.23
Hewlett Packard (HPQ): -$121.26
JP Morgan (JPM): -$148.80

Talk about a slow day! The morning was stuck in a very tight range and in the afternoon the market moved without much conviction. Today I just couldn't get anything going. All the stocks I was watching were wandering around like lost children at an amusement park.

Even though there was a slight downtrend in the overall markets today, the trend was too slow and stocks simply meandered around and seemed not to notice. Almost every trade I got into today would go nowhere. And even if I was in a trade and the overall market (Futures) suddenly burst in my favor, the stocks I was in would go the opposite direction!

Oh well - negative days are bound to happen. Just like trades themselves, you cannot expect to have a winning day (or trade) all the time. Just as long as the losing days are not as big as the winning days and hopefully occur less frequently than winning days. But still, a very frustrating (and I must say, very boring) day.

There were no good trades for me today (nothing seemed to move in my favor!).

But JP Morgan (JPM) put me in the red early in the morning and I would not see green for the rest of the day. This trade shouldn't have been put on because the markets were trendless and were trading in a very tight range. But at 10:41AM, JPM kept testing some resistance at $41.61. There was about 800 size on the ask and when it did break, I went long and got partially filled for 2900 shares at $41.61. But since there was no overall trend in both JPM and the Futures, prices just seemed to hang around for a bit. Then all of a sudden, prices just jumped 5-cents against me. I got out my 2900 shares for a 5-cent loser ($145 loser before fees).

I just have to remember when I should and should not trade. Hopefully I can get back in gear tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home