An NYSE Scalper's Tale - A Trader's Diary

Saturday, January 20, 2007

I've Been Tagged! Here Are 5 Things You May Not Know About Me

Recently, Jan over at StockMarketBlog.com tagged me, which means I must share with my readers 5 things they may not know about me.

And so, before I head off for the Bahamas, I thought I'd leave you with these 5 things you may not know about me:

  • My name is Jeff. I'm 28 and married for a little over a year. I'm 5 feet 11 inches tall, about 185 pounds and I'm what you consider a CBC (Canadian Born Chinese). My parents are originally from Malaysia and English was my first language. I can speak a little Cantonese, a little Hakka (a Chinese dialect), and I'm currently trying to learn Mandarin.


  • I used to do a lot of acting and modelling when I was in grade school and in high school. I've been in several TV ads including for Ivory Dishwashing Detergent and for TVOntario. I've also appeared in some classic Canadian TV including appearances in "Kids In The Hall" and I had a principal role in an autobiographical piece. I got to practice lines with Jeremy Irons, who was in Toronto several years ago to film M. Butterfly. I quit the business to focus on school (even though the money was damn good!).

  • I studied and practiced karate and got up to the level of Shodan-ho (the level before black belt). I also studied and practiced kung-fu for several years and learned to use the broadsword and the staff. The kung-fu school was also a lion-dance school so we put on many lion-dance performances throughout the years and we usually performed them on poles (similar to the pic on the left...sheesh..I had the courage to jump from pole to pole as in the pic, but when it comes to holding onto winners...). We also got to perform with the Shaolin monks from China whenever they came to Toronto to put on a show. I would eventually quit both to focus on school.

  • While at school, I was good at track-and-field and I went to regional and provincial finals many times. My specialties were running long jump, standing long jump, 100-meter and 200-meter races. Unfortunately I was never able to bring home any medals once I got up to the provincial finals (the highest I would get was 4th place). As I got older, I found myself unable to compete at the same level as others around me and so I never pursued track-and-field beyond high school.

  • I have an Honors degree in Computer Science from the University of Toronto. In fact, I didn't get a chance to finish my degree before the Toronto Transit Commission (T.T.C.) hired me as a programmer analyst. I would eventually work during the day at the T.T.C. and complete my degree in the evenings (believe me, there were many, many long nights!).
Well, that was a lot I've shared with you...maybe it was too much! Oh well, I guess it's only fair that you, the readers, know a bit more about me since you've all been so loyal.

Now according to the rules, I can now tag 5 bloggers and they have to do the same thing (tell us 5 things we may not know about you and tag 5 others). Let's see...many have already been tagged and I don't know if these guys have been tagged yet...I'm tagging the following (of course, you guys can play along only if you want to...):

Richard at Move The Markets (I think you may have already been tagged...)
Trader Mike (has no one tagged you yet?!!)
Trader Gav
Ugly (or The Chartist Formerly Known As Ugly)
Boogster

I'll be coming back on Thursday so maybe on Friday I'll trade! I want to wish all of you a great week of trading next week! Alright - I'm off to...




Labels: ,

10 Comments:

  • You are only 28. I always had the impression that you are older than that.

    By Blogger OBAT, at January 20, 2007 9:20 p.m.  

  • i'm from m'sia too.

    By Blogger ryuu, at January 21, 2007 12:10 a.m.  

  • I am surprised that you are a CBC,and your practice is so abundant,even more
    you can speak a little Cantonese,Hakka,Mandarin all that I can speak.
    CAntonese is my first language,and good at the others.But my English is bad.
    I think,if i can comunicate with you in Cantonese or Mandarin,that is so good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 21, 2007 8:33 a.m.  

  • JC, man I always thought you were a Jeff. :-) I used to watch KITHall on Comeday Central religiously about 5 years ago. Funny to think I saw you on T.V. once and never knew it.

    By Blogger Jeff, at January 21, 2007 9:43 p.m.  

  • JC...good lord man...a model and an actor...you quit to be a programmer and a trader...I think I've had enough for one day...don't tell your wife this...but you could have had a lot of ass...yet you chose the life of celibacy...i mean Monogamy...why man why...downgrade from Entourage to Love and Marriage...haha...anyway...cool stuff man

    By Blogger LP, at January 22, 2007 2:48 p.m.  

  • Hi Jeff,

    Wow, sounds like you've had a lifetime of enriching experiences ! I've watched KiTHall, but don't remember seeing any chinese kid - were you in many episodes, or just the ones that I missed ??

    By Blogger Phileo, at January 23, 2007 1:48 p.m.  

  • Have a good vacation, Jeff.

    Quentin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 25, 2007 5:33 a.m.  

  • Thanks for sharing JC.

    Sounds like you had some unique experiences. Hope your trip was safe.

    I live in SW Florida so you were just a short boat ride away. It's always nice to have sunshine and a warm breeze to welcome you in the morning like the Bahamas.

    You should be refreshed upon your return.

    Welcome back.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 26, 2007 9:17 a.m.  

  • OneBadTrade,
    Thanks for your comments...hehehe - perhaps my posts make it seem that I'm older than I am...I can just feel 30 coming around the corner....

    Ryuu,
    Thanks for your comments. It's been a while since I've heard from you! Yea, I went back to Malaysia back in 2004 and I meant to go back last year (2006), but never got a chance to...maybe in 2007

    WJ,
    Thanks for your comments. I've been trying to learn Mandarin for a while now (mainly by watching TV shows or listening to music)...it's coming along slowly. Your English is OK - at least I can understand what you type!

    Jeff,
    Everytime you've left a comment, I always thought it was my comment! Well, we now know we're both Jeffs! I'm glad you've started posting at your blogsite again! I'll be following your progress!

    FlatWallet,
    Thanks for your comment. :) hehehe...I guess I felt I was getting a little old so I decided to settle down a bit...at least with marriage it's one less thing I have to worry about :)

    Phileo,
    Thanks for your comments. I appeared on the show once, maybe twice...I never had speaking lines on the show...just whenever they needed some kids in one of their skits...I just remember one skit in which a bunch of us kids beat up one of the show's regular cast (I believe it was Scott Thompson)...I just remember that because after they called cut, we had beaten Scott pretty bad and his nose was bleeding....

    Quentin,
    Thanks for your comments...it was a good vacation and I think it was just what the doctor ordered!

    Stockroach,
    Thanks for your comments. I envy you! Such beautiful weather down there! At least you wake up to sun everyday, whereas we up here in Toronto we wake up in darkness! I do feel refreshed from my vacation and I got in a little reading that hopefully will help me with my trading.

    Have a good weekend all!

    By Blogger J.C., at January 26, 2007 7:29 p.m.  

  • Cool beach

    By Anonymous QUALITY STOCKS UNDER 5 DOLLARS, at April 11, 2013 12:27 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home