An NYSE Scalper's Tale - A Trader's Diary

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

On Tap for Thu Feb 23, 2006

I'll be watching JP Morgan (JPM) tomorrow. Today JPM traded really strong and made new 52 week highs on good volume. Hopefully it will be just as good to me tomorrow as it was today.

Also, Time Warner (TWX) has been really active the last three days. With the Ichan making peace with Time Warner, looks like people are unloading the stock. I normally avoid trading TWX because its a relatively thick stock (thick meaning there is big size everywhere on the bid and ask) and it's intraday range is usually small (around 25-cents), but lately the range has been widening.

If you want to see an ugly chart, look at a daily chart for Sherwin-Williams (SHW). A jury ruled it liable for making lead-based paints and could make it responsible for cleanup and mitigation costs. No dollar amount for the damages were given. When the news came out around lunch time, I remember thinking "Dang! That's not good for the stock!". I might quickly take a look at it tomorrow, but otherwise I'm not gonna touch it even with a 10-foot pole.

Finally, I'll be watching the homebuilder Toll Brothers (TOL). It will be reporting earnings tomorrow before the bell. It was up in sympathy today with fellow homebuilder Hovnanian (HOV), which gave positive guidance today. I'm always interested in watching the homebuilders report and to see what people will be saying about the housing market. I'm particularly interested in Toll Brothers earnings because they've cut forecasts twice in the last three months.

2 Comments:

  • y2kkani,

    Glad you came for a visit!
    I trade JPM on a regular basis because the sizes on the bid and ask are not too big and not too small, which allows me to get in and out without problems. Also, JPM follows the S&P Futures fairly well. I can use the S&P Futures as a kind of leading indicator of where JPM will go. Other favorites include Walmart (WMT), Home Depot (HD), Pfizer (PFE) and Corning (GLW) among others.

    By Blogger J.C., at February 22, 2006 10:42 p.m.  

  • More great news.

    By Anonymous QUALITY STOCKS UNDER 5 DOLLARS, at April 11, 2013 12:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home