An NYSE Scalper's Tale - A Trader's Diary

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Posts Of Interest - Part 1: The Way I Trade

Since I use Blogger to blog, it makes it very difficult to categorize and sort my posts. This blog is coming up to 200 posts and so I have gone through all my posts and sorted them out into categories that may be of interest to readers.

Over the next four weekends, I will be posting "Posts Of Interest", which is simply a collection of posts that I thought would be helpful for readers to see what mistakes I have made (and continue to make), and to get a better idea of how I do things (without having to click through the archives).

Part 1 is entitled "The Way I Trade".
Part 2 is entitled "Trading Principles".
Part 3 is entitled "Self Assessment".
Part 4 is entitled "The NYSE".

This weekend in "The Way I Trade", I have collected several posts that give you an idea of what I look for in a trade and some of the things I avoid when I trade. Since I have yet to post up my methodologies and my trading strategies, this post is probably the best way to find out how I trade.

I have listed these posts with the oldest post first and the newest post last. And so, here is "The Way I Trade":

The Dreaded "One Print Break" - posted on Feb 23, 2006
  • This post describes one of the things I avoid trading when I see it
  • in my experience, when I do see a "One Print Break", the probability of the trade working out for me is much lower than regular level breaks

The "Ball Buster" - posted on Apr 26, 2006
  • In this post, I describe a trade that ruins your entire day - usually occurring near the end of the day
  • In the past, a "Ball Buster" caused me to lose concentration and/or result in revenge trading or trading on pure emotions

A Psychological Barrier Broken - My First $1000 Day - posted on May 12, 2006
  • A post that describes the slight tweaks to my trading I did to achieve one of my goals I had set up early in my trading career
  • This trading day was interesting because in the post on the previous day, I was complaining about how long it was taking me to have a $1000+ day

Anticipate More, React Less - posted on May 25, 2006
  • This post has several musings on what I should be doing with my trading and how I should approach it in order to be more successful
  • I made a note that in order to make more profits, I had to anticipate more and react less - the more I react, the less I'll be able to make

Big Fat Juicy Level - posted on Jun 19, 2006
  • This post describes the type of trades I always look for
  • I also mention the great opportunity I missed because I saw a "Big Fat Juicy Level", but exited my position too soon - the trade resulted in a $460 profit, but could have resulted in a $2000 profit

A Complete And Utter Embarrassment - posted on Jun 29, 2006
  • A review of a terrible trading day I had back in June and one in which I discovered something about one of the stocks I frequently trade
  • Quite often, a light bulb goes off in my head whenever I have a really bad trading day - mostly because I have to review my bad days in this blog

Looks Like It's "That Time Of The Month" Again - posted on Jul 19, 2006
  • A post that explores a pattern I have in my trading that seemed to re-occur every month

The Trend, The Bounce, And The Momentum - posted on Jul 20, 2006
  • This post reviews some of the changes I made to my trading strategy when things didn't seem to be working out too well
Trying To Go From Scalper To Trader Overnight - posted on Aug 9, 2006
  • Another bad trading day that really forced me to review what was going wrong - in this post, I tried to identify my problems and laid out what I was going to do about it
Scrambling For The Exits - posted on Sept 11, 2006
  • A post that describes how I deal with getting out of a really bad trade very quickly
  • Though I had a profitable day, I could have had a lot more had I not resorted to "Scrambling For The Exits"

4 Comments:

  • JC,
    This is an excellent idea, and thanks for putting in so much time and effort. It all really appreciated.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 29, 2006 7:48 a.m.  

  • ZHB,

    Thanks for your comments and compliments! I have been meaning to do this for a while now and I guess because I didn't blog at all this week, it's all coming out now! Hope you enjoyed the post - next week I'll have another one similar to this.

    When I have time, I'll try to go through all my posts and tag them so that I can have them somewhat sorted using del.icio.us. We'll see.

    Happy trading and let's see what we can do this week!

    By Blogger J.C., at October 29, 2006 5:15 p.m.  

  • Thanks for sorting everything by topic. Your blog has been a great resource and I look forward to reading it daily. Keep up the great work!

    DW

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 30, 2006 2:39 p.m.  

  • Matt,
    Hey! It's great to see a fellow Swifty! I just wish I could pull in some of the numbers you do! You know, before I got into trading full-time, I came across a couple of posts you put on at EliteTrader and saw some of the numbers you had - it was truly inspiring! I'm also glad you've got your blog back into full swing as well! I wish you the best of luck and happy trading!

    DW,
    Thanks for the compliments! I do these things mainly to help myself (really get me to review everything that's been going on), but I figure if it helps me out by doing this, then it must surely help others out there as well! Thanks a million for your support! I wish you good trading!

    By Blogger J.C., at October 30, 2006 6:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home