An NYSE Scalper's Tale - A Trader's Diary

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Getting Rocked & Getting Rolled

Gross: -$505.00
Net: -$515.23
Trades: 16
Shares Traded: 17000

Stocks Traded Today (net profit/loss):
AirTran Holdings, Inc. (AAI): -$39.30
Murphy Oil Corporation (MUR): -$76.04
Rite Aid Corporation (RAD): -$159.78
SAIC, Inc. (SAI): -$240.10

Never under-estimate the power of the S&P Futures....

My day was quickly done and within 45 minutes, I had to close her down for the day....

It was just my luck that every position I had early this morning was in the opposite direction of a rather hard move made by the Futures.

I went long on SAI twice early in the morning...unfortunately I was long right when the Futures decided to tank hard....on both times!

When I had those SAI positions, I saw the Futures tank quite hard, but I didn't immediately do anything about it...I figure that this stock could resist the overall moves made by the markets.

Unfortunately I waited too long and was stopped out twice on this stock....the first time for about $130, the second time for about $110.

And wouldn't you know it....whenever I was short, the Futures made a forceful move up.....and again, I didn't immediately got out of my position, opting to wait a little bit to see if the stock could resist the move....but then I'd get stopped out. Whenever I was long, the Futures made a forceful move down...I'd hang around only to get out when it hit my stop for a loss.

Every position I had on today had a similar story....I'd either be long when the Futures make a forceful move to the downside or I'd be short and the Futures make a forceful move to the upside.

And in all of my trades, I waited a little too long to see if the stock could resist the move.

Oh sure, eventually the stocks I was in eventually went in the direction of the trade (or at least come back to break even) - but I didn't know that....nor would I know the extent of the Futures move.

All in all, just bad, bad, bad.

I guess I've been focusing so much on other aspects of my trading that I sometimes tend to forget some of my basic trading rules....one of which is to trade only when there is a clear direction in the Futures (so that I can trade in the same direction) and to avoid trading when it does a lot of wicked chopping.

Had I been more mindful of this, I would have been caught maybe once or twice with those Futures moves (which ultimately affected the stocks I was in).....but to be caught soo many trades in a row means that I failed to follow those rules.

I also have a feeling that this morning I really felt eager to put on an aggressive trade and because my mind was so intent on making that big trade and trying to use bigger share sizes, I failed to follow through on my rules (like get out of my position if the Futures make forceful moves in the opposite direction of your trade!)....

Oh well - I'll have to put this day in the books and move on.

I just have to remember to never under-estimate the power of the S&P Futures....


Good Trades
(trades in which I make $200 or more)
  • None

Bad Trades
(trades in which I lose $150 or more)
  • None - just many trades in which I held onto a loser longer than I'd like to hold them for

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • check out fc stone today. It is up 15% today. FC Stone Comments

    By Blogger Jason, at April 13, 2007 3:15 p.m.  

  • you will bounce back dude!!!! in no time will u have a 1K profit, next week! keep your head up and believe in yourself, don't force the market's hand!!! you'll come back, I've confidence in your abilities, so should you!

    be cool! Yaser

    By Blogger NA, at April 15, 2007 2:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home